Before being admitted to the academy, you first take an entrance exam, which evaluates your chances of completing the programme. The entrance exam tests your visual and creative capacities, originality and drawing skills. The Admissions Committee is made up of one or two lecturers and two students.
You must sign up for the entrance exam through Studielink. We keep the entrance examinations in Enschede also suitable from a distance. If you are living abroad at the time of the entrance exams, you can contact us to request a modified form of the entrance exam in Enschede and we will work with you toward a suitable solution.
The entrance exam is structured as follows:
- a 15-minute interview about your motivation and general interests
- an evaluation of the work you have brought with you. This need not only consist of complete designs, but may also contain sketches and designs that provide insight into your creative process
- an evaluation of the results of the take-home assignment. This is a design assignment that you receive after signing up for the entrance exam through Studielink. You do this assignment at home and bring it with you to the entrance exam.
Validity of admission
Because the Art & Design programmes in Enschede have a shared first semester, the entrance exam for the Design programme gives you access to the Art & Design foundation year in Enschede. During this first semester, you are introduced to the various visual specialisations at Enschede, which gives you the opportunity to discover where your strengths and interests lie. After the this semester, you progress to the Fine Art or Crossmedia Design programmes.
The admission applies exclusively to the foundation year in Enschede; if you wish to enrol in a programme or specialisation in Arnhem or Zwolle, you will need to take a different entrance exam. The admission is only valid for the study year directly following the entrance exam. Once the study programme has started, there are limited possibilities for students to transfer to other locations or programmes.
MBO (level 4), HAVO, VWO or equivalent diploma. In exceptional cases, students who do not have the required degree but can demonstrate special skills may be admitted. This is at the discretion of the Admissions Committee. Different criteria apply for admission to the senior years of the full-time programmes.
- Contact details of ArtEZ in Enschede
- More information is also available at the Student Affairs department